Every profession and hobby has its fair share of jokes and absolutely everyone knows a good lawyer joke. Genealogists are no exception, so if you’re looking for a few cheesy lines to send to a fellow genealogy fanatic, take a look at this funny list. Like we said, they’re cheesy, but every ancestor-hunter will be able to relate.
Genealogy is a pretty serious pastime, or job if you do it for a living. It involves hours of tedious research, dead ends (pardon the pun), and quite often the results are disappointing.
That said, once you’re hooked, Genealogy is a very difficult habit to kick. It can also be incredibly rewarding when all that hard work pays off. But, in order to stay sane, genealogists definitely need a sense of humour. So take a minute to read these one-liners and pass on to a friend who needs a little motivation.
1. “My ancestors are so hard to find, they must have been in a witness protection program!”
2. Eventually, all genealogists come to their census.
3. Genealogists: The only people who are excited to read obituaries.
4. “Done! Everything in the family tree has been found and is completely organized” — said no genealogist. Ever.
5. Genealogist: Disturbs the dead and irritates the living.
6. Genealogy is like playing hide and seek: They hide… we seek!
7. “I’m not stuck, I’m ancestrally challenged.”
8. Gene-Allergy: It’s a contagious disease, but we love it.
9. Genealogy: Where the answer to one problem leads to two more!
10. “My husband calls cemeteries ancestor farms.”
11. “I’m more interested in what happened in 1816, than what’s happening today in 2016”
12. Wife to husband: “Never mind the children, do you know where your second great-grandparents are tonight?”
13. Only a genealogist views a step backwards as progress.
14. “I used to have a lot of free time… then I discovered genealogy.”
15. “I collect dead relatives!”
16. “My ancestors did WHAT?”
17. A pack rat is hard to live with, but makes a mighty fine ancestor.
18. “I want to find ALL of them! So far I only have a few thousand.”
19. “I think my ancestors had several “bad heir” days.”